Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best UV Sterilizers Reviewed
Ever wondered what kind of living organisms you might pick up from the cash in your wallet, or might be smeared across your cell phone’s screen?
Before you write-off your concerns as paranoia, you might be surprised that most smart phones host about 20 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat.
In fact, one study found that the typical mobile phone hosts over 17,000 bacteria! Now just imagine all the germs we pick up from handling items like car keys, cash, or the gas pump. It’s really quite gross!
Thankfully there is a simple way to clean all those items, and it can all be accomplished while you relax, or watch TV. Today’s best UV sterilizers are designed to sanitize your cell phone, your keys, or any other personal items you might want to clean and disinfect.
UV sterilizers use a specific wavelength of light to kill dangerous microbes, which makes them perfect for your sensitive electronics. Aside from eliminating the potential for moisture damage, harsh chemicals are no longer a point of concern either.
The use of UV light also makes them perfect for sanitizing delicate items, like N95 respirator masks or eye glasses. Basically whatever fits in the UV sterilizer can have 99.9% of viruses and bacteria eliminated in just a few minutes.
We took a close look at popular products from some of the top UV sterilizer manufacturers. You can check out the quick comparison chart below and read our in-depth reviews below where we explain why we chose which products landed our top spots.
Okay, lets check them out!
Top UV Sanitizer Comparison Chart
Best UV Sterilizer
The HomeSoap UV Sanitizer Box has the handy feature of being able to sanitize your phone as well as other personal and family items at the same time. Compared to other UV sterilizer models with a more focused application, the HomeSoap sanitizer offers much more versatility and provides a more functional overall design.
Early UV sanitizers recommended very long overnight cleaning sessions, which meant locking your phone in a box all night. But the 10 minute cleaning cycle on the HomeSoap UV sanitizer makes cleaning during the day super fast. Many of us like our phones accessible at night in case of emergencies, so it makes sense to sterilize them at more convenient times when they’re not needed. You can clean you phone and personal items as many times as needed throughout the day, without waiting until nighttime to have a germ-free phone.
The sanitizer is easily large enough for all smartphone models, as well as larger items like tablets. Some users even place their entire purse inside! While it’s primarily marketed as an all-around UV sterilizer for family use, you can also use this sterilizer on other small items ranging from baby bottles, headphones, and earbuds.
One downside of the HomeSoap UV sanitizer is that it isn’t conveniently designed for use as a portable option. There are portable UV sterilizer variants that we review coming up shortly, which will be more helpful for those that want to sterilize their belongings on the go.
The HomeSoap UV sanitizer has a lot of proper certification behind it as well, making it a popular choice for those looking for a trusted brand. HomeSoap markets this sterilizer with ETL & FCC approval, as well as being BPA, phthalate, and lead free. It also boasts the fact that it’s been clinically proven to destroy 99.9% of germs.
The interior sports a shiny smooth reflective surface that is easy to wipe down with a dry cloth. It also offers space for adding a smaller supportive rack for suspending small items, like pacifiers or credit cards.
This UV sterilizer makes it possible to clean so many of your family’s common items. If you are in the market for a user friendly and feature-rich UV sanitizer, we highly recommend giving this model a close look.
- The Multi-Purpose UV Sanitizer has a roomy interior compartment to sanitize your phones, tablets, pacifiers, remotes, keys, watches and other essential everyday items. Simply pace your item inside, and the powerful UV-C light reduces up to 99.9% of bacteria and viruses in 10 minutes. Features LED status indicator, non-slip feet and 2 built-in USB ports to charge your devices while they are being sanitized. Available in Black or White.
This portable UV sterilizer from Coospider comes in the form of a chic jumbo bag, which makes it ideal for travel or larger objects that can be difficult to clean in a smaller UV box.
Operating it is simple compared to many other sanitizer products – you place the item that you want sanitized into the bag, zip it up and then check the transparent window on the surface of the bag that indicates the unit is operational.
Now for those concerned about exposure to ultraviolet light, you can watch the purple UVC light sanitizer completing the sterilization process, but no UV light is emitted when the UV lamp is in operation. So users don’t have to worry about potentially harmful UV light escaping. The bag is very well sealed, so there’s no risk of UV-C light leaking out.
The Coospider UV Light Sanitizer Bag is super high quality and built to last. Its long-lasting UVC LEDs emit pure 260-280nm light. This means that you should get a great number of effective sessions out of this UV sterilizer before the LEDs weaken.
It’s obvious that this unit is one of the better all-purpose sanitizers when it comes to cleaning a variety of small-to-midsize items. While other sanitizers tend to be built specifically with phones in mind, you can use this product to decontaminate everything from glasses to makeup brushes to cellphones or even your toothbrush.
- 【 Strong UV-C Light 】 pure 253.7nm wavelength, high transparent quartz UVC lamp long up to 7 inch, really powerful, only needs 10 seconds after turn on, you can smell a obvious special quartz smell in the bag, which means it in work, unlike the weak ultraviolet light by LED beads
- 【 Foldable - Easy to carry 】 USB 5v DC input, safer, can work with power bank, wall charger, computer
- 【 Timer 】 5/15/30 minutes Timer (choose switch indicator light: blue-5min, red-15min, purple-30min), automatically turn off
- 【 Big Size 】 10.5 × 7.7 × 9.5 inch
- 【 Warranty 】 2 year warranty, 3 months free return from purchase, any problem please contact the service mailbox on the package, we will solve and reply in 24 hours.
The HoMedics UV-Clean Phone Sanitizer is a UV sterilizer box produced by the same manufacturers of the larger HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Sanitizer.
It’s primarily designed as a cell phone cleaner rather than a multi-purpose cleaner. It’s able to accommodate most sizes of phone (so that the whole family can use it to charge up their phones if necessary – although not at the same time of course).
The sanitizer contains a rechargeable battery that is capable of an impressive 70 cycles per charge. This is far higher than many other sanitizers on the market.
Without having to constantly charge it up, you can keep it in your car or briefcase and take it with you wherever you go.
As with the HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Sanitizer, it’s also very fast at sterilizing. It takes just 30 seconds per side to sanitize your entire phone. This allows you to sanitize your phone quickly and conveniently whenever you have a spare minute. For those of us that like to have constant access to our phones, this can be useful.
You also don’t have to worry about exposure to UV light while using this product. Like the HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Sanitizer, it has a safety lock. This prevents UV light from getting out while the gadget is in operation. This product also boasts that it is chemical and mercury free.
- PORTABLE PROTECTION: Keep your phone and other essentials clean by utilizing patented pop-up technology and UV-C LED sanitizing. After use conveniently collapse flat to transport between your purse, backpack, suitcase, gym bag and more to kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses at the DNA level
- FULL COVERAGE: With 2 UV-C Germicidal LED's at 70 cycles per charge, completely surround your phone for optimal sanitizing in just 30 seconds per side. Lighting position ensures maximum coverage and effectiveness
- SAFE SANITIZING: Free of mercury and chemicals with an advanced safety lock to prevent UV exposure. Sanitize and disinfect both sides of your item in just 1 minute with rechargeable LED's that last for thousands of uses. Safe to use around children and pets
- MULTI-USE FUNCTIONALITY: Designed to fit a variety of phone sizes as well as jewelry, glasses, keys, credit cards, makeup brushes, and essential items. Perfect for home, office, car or travel use
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX: (1) HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Phone Sanitizer, (1) 1-yr Warranty
The PhoneSoap Wireless UV Sanitizer is another portable sterilizer that comes in the form of a mid-size box.
Suitable for home use and travel use, out of the box this sanitizer has an appealing look and contains an adapter cord to power the UV-C LEDs. While it boasts Qi-certified wireless charging, you will need a power outlet to use it for UV sterilizing purposes. This mid-sized sterilizer is quite perfect to keep your personal belongings clean while at home or on the move.
An advanced safety stop prevents any UV light from leaking out, as the LED’s immediately turn off upon opening. With many health risks associated with UV light exposure, this feature can offer peace of mind for those concerned with the dangers of UV sanitizers.
This gadget also claims to be much faster than other sanitizer on the market, with a 10 minute cleaning cycle. For this reason, it’s potentially one of the best phone cleaners for those living busy schedules. Simply hit the switch and your item should be sterilized in no more than 10 minutes – no need to sterilize your belongings overnight!
While ideal as a phone sanitizer, it can also be used to clean all manner of small personal items ranging from makeup brushes to eyeglasses. The internal dimensions are quite helpful for keeping various shaped items in place while you sanitize them. This allows you to position each item so that it is thoroughly sterilized. Not all ‘box’ sterilizers offer this benefit.
- Phonesoap Wireless: Smartphone Sanitizer and QI Charger. This smartphone sanitizer will kill 99.99% of bacteria with three germicidal UV-C bulbs and utilizes Qi wireless technology to charge your phone without needing to attach a charging cable, as well as an additional USB port for additional charging.
- Fits and charges any phone. PhoneSoap Wireless was built to accommodate all smartphones, including larger models like the iPhone 8+ and the Galaxy S10+. The wireless charging will only apply to Qi-enabled smartphones, but the USB port in the back of the unit offers universal charging to all devices. You’re going to charge your phone every night anyway - you may as well sanitize it, too!
- As seen on Shark Tank, Discover Channel, Good Morning America, and QVC. PhoneSoap’s revolutionary bacteria-zapping technology was featured on ABC’s Shark Tank, tested and proven effective on the Discovery Channel, and sold to hundreds of thousands of happy customers on Good Morning America and QVC.
- Stay healthy. Our phones gather all the bacteria we touch throughout the day, and then they are stored in warm and dark places like purses and pockets, leaving the bacteria to breed and grow. They are the third hand we never wash! Using PhoneSoap on a regular basis will help keep germs and illness at bay.
- Clean whatever fits. The PhoneSoap was created with smartphones in mind, but will sanitize anything that fits inside - pacifiers, smart watches, headphones, keys - you name it!
Unlike other models of UV sterilizer featured here, the 59S UV Light Sanitizer Wand is a handheld device. You can run it over any item of surface, using it much the same way you would a portable hair dryer.
It’s a great tool for using UV light for room disinfection – if you’re staying in a hotel room and want to ensure that the pillows and towels are all free of bacteria, you can simply use this product to give each surface a clean.
At the same time, you can use it to clean smartphones and keys as you would with a UV sterilizer box.
Like other sanitizers, it runs on rechargeable batteries and is easy to transport, making it ideal for avid travelers. You can also use it for home use for making sure kitchen countertops or bedding is sterile (you can practically use it to sterilize anything).
This gadget does present certain safety risks involving UV light exposure that other sanitizers don’t present, however there are a number of safety features to limit these risks.
For instance, when upturned during cleaning, the wand automatically shuts off due to inbuilt smart sensors. If you accidentally drop it, you don’t have to worry about UV light shining up into your face! The manufacturer recommends using protective goggles while using this tool.
The 59S UV Light Sanitizer Wand is also quick to use. Its manufacturers claim that it only takes 59 seconds to 180 seconds to sterilize an item (although to be thorough, you probably want to wait those 180 seconds).
Instructions that come with the product offer information on how far away to hold it and how many times to run it over an item for maximum efficiency.
No products found.
This video shows just how helpful a UV phone sanitizer is:
What to Look For In A Quality UV Sterilizer
When looking for the best UV sterilizer, it’s important to find a sterilizer that’s right for your specific needs. As the products above demonstrate, different sterilizers come with different features. For instance, some are designed primarily for sterilizing phones at home, while others are designed to sterilize all manner of items on the go.
Certain features like safety and efficiency should always be guaranteed. That said, some models are safer and more efficient than others and this is worth always looking into too.
Below are some of the key features to consider when buying a UV sterilizer.
UV light has been shown to kill 99.9% of bacteria, viruses and fungi. In fact, it’s one of the most effective and quickest forms of sterilization. However, the effectiveness of this depends very much on the type of sterilizer you use and how you use it.
How you position the item you want to sterilize for instance can make an impact. UV sterilizer boxes that have clips that can help to hold items in place so that you can position them correctly. These are likely to be better at sterilizing different-shaped items than boxes without clips. As for handheld sanitizers, it’s important to follow instructions as to how to position the sanitizer wand itself.
Some sterilizers claim to clean more quickly than others. The quickest are able to sterilize an item in a minute, while others recommend spending at least five minutes sterilizing items. When it comes to convenience, this could be worth considering.
It’s worth noting that dirtier items are likely to take longer to sterilize. UV light does not remove residue, so make sure to clean any residue off before using an UV sterilizer.
UV light can penetrate human skin and cause serious damage. It’s important to therefore take safety features into account when choosing a model of sterilizer.
UV sterilizer boxes tend to restrict UV light exposure much more than handheld UV sterilizers. Such boxes may come with locks to ensure that they cannot be opened during operation. Handheld sterilizers still tend to have their own safety features, but it’s recommended always wearing protective goggles when using these tools.
Some UV sterilizers may also combine chemicals or mercury for cleaning. Such products may be worth avoiding for those that want to minimize health risks. The majority of products on the market use UV-C light, but there are some products that use far UV light, which is thought to be safer due to a lower wavelength.
You should also consider what items you’re looking to sterilize. Many portable enclosed sanitizers are designed to clean small items like cellphones, keys and earphones. Not all may be roomy enough to accommodate bulkier items like glasses or wallets, so take this into account.
Handheld sanitizers can offer UV light for room disinfection. This makes them ideal for cleaning all kinds of items using UV light from toilet seats to sofas.
Some are designed strictly as phone sanitizers – which may be all you require. In these instances, make sure that the sanitizer fits your model of phone. The best phone cleaner products tend to be able to accommodate all sizes of phone. Those with larger phones may want to research into compatibility just in case.
Rechargeability/Cycles per charge
If you’re looking for a portable UV sanitizer, you may want to consider opting for one with a rechargeable battery so that you don’t have to plug it into the wall every time you need to use it.
Many UV sanitizer boxes that use a rechargeable battery are able to offer multiple cycles on a single charge. It’s worth comparing the cycles per charge if you think you’re going to be using your sterilizer regularly.
When it comes to handheld sanitizers with rechargeable batteries, similarly look into the battery length so that you know how long you can use the sanitizer for.
You don’t want a sanitizer that is going to break after five uses. For this reason, it is also worth researching into the durability and life of the product.
The best sterilizers should have long-lasting bulbs that are able to offer a lot of use. Lower quality UV sterilizers may burn out quickly and getting these bulbs replaced may be tricky.
If you’re taking a sterilizer with you traveling, you don’t want it to fall apart at the slightest knock, so this is worth researching into too. Most products from respectable brands should be fairly robust. Some come with a year’s warranty, so that if they do break you’re guaranteed a free replacement.